Friday, July 07, 2006

Okay, so I took an extended break. I was on parenting leave for crying out loud. 5 weeks ago, Cherie gave birth to Luke Timothy, a 6 lb. boy with a furrowed brow and a powerful kick. He often seems frustrated or bitter with his arrival. Perhaps its that he realized quickly that he was born with me as his father. O joy.

At any rate, the church offered me a month off to change diapers, sleep less than lab mice on crack, and basically parent my two sons. I've managed to do my fair share of night feedings, rocking, diapering, etc...I've also managed to take my wife out to dinner once and take my two year old to the zoo--his third home, after home and church.
Jonah, the two-year-old, loves the baby. At least, to the extent that he hasn't attempted to actually harm or kill him yet. He calls him Lukey and enojoys watching him do the limited things babies do. His entertainment value is, at this point, weak. After all, the baby's novelty wears thin when crying like a siren from a bullhorn ensues. According to Dr. Weissbluth--author of the book, Healthly Sleep Habits, Happy Child---Luke is at the height of fussiness, a perfect time for me to return to work. Of course, leaving Cherie alone with a two-year-old who is more demanding than Tyra banks at Starbucks and an infant poised to exercise his lungs by screaming like a banshee in heat is tantamount to torture. If she were Muslim I'm sure she would begin to make terrorist threats, simply to be removed by the feds for several years of "detention". And I;ve only been back to work for a day and a half! I just keep teling her, "It will get better". Please God, let it get better...

No comments: