Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Salt and Light

Matthew 5:13-16.  
"You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt becomes tasteless in what way will it become salty again?  It is no longer any good, but is thrown out and trampled under foot.  You are the light of the word.  A city on a hill cannot be hid. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under a bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to the whole house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others that they may see your good works and glorify your father in heaven."

Hiding out and blending in.  The followers of Jesus are supposed to have a distinctive flavor, a brighter light in dark times.  But, when we love justice and show mercy and walk humbly with God, we will stand out.  I think the church is too often silent about and absent from the hard things, the ugly and broken things.  We hide in our sanctuaries and in our homes.  We hide ourselves, our own hearts and minds.  We keep silent in the face of critics and detractors.  We do not stand with those who experience the cross of shame and suffering in their lives.
Today, I'm going to a meeting of the NAACP chapter in Lancaster.  They have invited clergy to gather and discuss racial tensions, violence, and law enforcement.  I go to listen, to share my hope in the God of justice and peace, and to walk with others who are deeper in the struggle than I.  It would be easy not to go, to say its not my thing.  I have plenty of other acts to accomplish today.  White privilege and suburbia largely shelter me from the struggle.  I don't have many black friends.  I can easily say, "This is not my problem, my concern."
But what if I don't show up?  About the Good Samaritan story Dr. King said,

"The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: 'If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?' But... the good Samaritan reversed the question: 'If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?'
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/martinluth105663.html.

This is the church's mission, to stop and help, to show up, to be present in the struggle, to accompany the suffering, to confront the violence and hatred with acts of love and mercy.  I will bring my distinctive experience and wisdom and compassion to the table.  

Salt and light.  If you're in a dark place, you know when the light comes in.  When your food is salted, you can taste the difference. What difference does it make others that I am a child of God and a follower of Jesus?  What does my presence expose or enlighten?  What darkness does my presence confront?   Today, I intend to be salt and light--to make a difference in the lives of those around me.  I intend to do all that I can to share the light of Christ.  To me this light-sharing involves participation in the community struggle for racial justice and reconciliation.  What can you do today to be salt and light, to bring the distinctive flavor and vision of the gospel to others?  How can you share a hopeful word, a brave act on behalf of someone else?

On my way, I think I'll sing:  

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine; this little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.  This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine."

No comments: