Wednesday, May 04, 2016

that we may be one

Scripture: John 17


 [Jesus prayed:] 20“I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, 21that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, 23I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
25“Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. 26I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”

Observation:

That all may be one.  Unity.  Communion.  A shared life of love. Jesus prays for the people who receive faith by hearing the message his first disciples bring.  Basically, he prays for the next generations of His people, which includes us.  Not for materialistic needs.  But for our inner selves to be connected to God through His love.  I in them and you in me.  God is in us. That does not mean that I am God or you are God.  It means that the goodness and love out of which we are made dwells in our minds, hearts, spirits.  We are spiritual beings. We breathe.  We connect.  We pray.  Jesus intends for his followers to experience divine love---a powerful,redemptive, healing love--the force that binds all things together.  Jesus' anticipated your and my participation in His life.  He prayed for us, because he wants us to know his love and his peace.     

Application 
Connection, authentic loving relationships. This is the heart of Christian spirituality/religion.  If your practice as a Christian person does not involve love, you are missing Jesus' point.  Christianity is not a program. It is not entertainment.  It is not a rock concert.  A lot of what churches do today to attract people has nothing to do with Jesus or a sense of communion with God.   In fact, we may be doing a lot and forgetting ourselves and God in the process.  This is why prayer matters.
Prayer is the inner ear, the inner voice, the moment of silence in which one becomes reconnected.  I have experienced this kind of communion sitting on a mountain above Lake George in the ADK.  Eating with close friends.  Being with my wife and kids on a quiet day. I experienced God this morning.  I was waiting for someone for an appointment we had together.  She didn't show up.  Turns out, we both needed a way out of that appointment so that we could stop, breathe, remember that God is in control, surrender our need to get things done and abide in the Word.  Today, I say yes to God, who speaks.  In the passage above, I hear God say to me:  I am inside, close, near.  You are loved absolutely.  You are being sent to the world I love with good news.  But let it be good news for you too.  Rest in my grace.  Nothing you do or fail to do today will change what matters--life in me. Perfect love.  Joy.  Peace.  Calm. 
So, in my mind I am going to Lake George.  To my mountain.  To warm sun and fresh air and silence and the presence of the God who loves me.  Wanna come with me? 

Pray:
Lord, I want to surrender myself to your presence, your love, your peace.  I want to experience oneness, unity, communion with you and all of life.  Help me to stop and breathe and trust you.  Amen. 
     

No comments: