Monday, April 11, 2016

the with-ness of God

Scripture:  Matthew 11
‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

Observation:
 Jesus offers a high invitation culture, in which he shares his life with other people. He "yokes"himself with us.  To share a yoke alludes to the farming practice of teaming a seasoned ox with a young ox to teach the younger ox how to work at a steady pace.  A young ox will overwork to exhaustion and be less productive in a long, hot day of plowing the field. So, a wise farmer teams a mature ox with a young one, in order to train the younger ox for an easier and more enduring pace.   The best way for us to learn is by imitation.  Like a master and apprentice.  This is the way of discipleship. One-to-one mentoring, walking side-by-side in the work of ministry to which we are called.  The field is the community in which we find ourselves.  The yoke is the practice of Jesus--to forgive, heal, and serve.  His yoke is love.  His yoke is easy and light because the love we offer others is merely a reflection of his never-failing, constant, consistent, complete love for everyone.  To love is to have been loved.  To love greatly is to realize how greatly you are loved. 
 
Application 

The bible is a journey story in which the creator God is companion with his beloved creatures, humans.  God is described as walking beside and with us.  God promises to be with God's people over and over again. In hardship, in suffering, in weakness, in fear, in danger, in struggle, in death itself--God promises to come with us.  The story of Jesus is the enfleshed with-ness of God.  Jesus is called Emmauel, which means God is with us.  The gospel of John says that in Jesus, God's Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.  Jesus calls companions to himself to teach them what it means to experience the with-ness presence of God in the world---in the flowers and birds, in the abundance of food, in the beauty of friendship, in words of forgiveness, in acts of mercy, in the face of the child, in the longings of the poor, in the suffering of the weak and vulnerable.  God is with us in these ways. Jesus teaches them how to embody as image-bearers, the presence of God for others.    Through acts of love, people encounter God-in-the-flesh.   Discipleship is our training in bearing the image/presence of God, walking beside us.  Going with us.  And, amazingly that is often enough.  Be with me.  Be my companion. Walk beside me.  Hold my hand.  That's really all any of us wants, isn't it?  Someone who cares enough to yoke him or her self to me.  So that I might learn my own belovedness as child of God.  Today, who are you walking with as companion in their earth journey?  

Prayer

 Jesus, walk with me.  Hold my hand.  Lead me.  Teach me to be like you.  Compassionate servant.  Patient friend. Constant companion. And when I fail, show me the way.   Amen.   

 

No comments: