Wednesday, March 23, 2016

washing their feet

Scripture: John 13

Now before the festival of the Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart from this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. The devil had already put it into the heart of Judas son of Simon Iscariot to betray him. And during supper Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, ‘Lord, are you going to wash my feet?’ Jesus answered, ‘You do not know now what I am doing, but later you will understand.’ Peter said to him, ‘You will never wash my feet.’ Jesus answered, ‘Unless I wash you, you have no share with me.’ Simon Peter said to him, ‘Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!’ Jesus said to him, ‘One who has bathed does not need to wash, except for the feet,* but is entirely clean. And you are clean, though not all of you.’ For he knew who was to betray him; for this reason he said, ‘Not all of you are clean.’ After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table, he said to them, ‘Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord—and you are right, for that is what I am. So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. Very truly, I tell you, servants are not greater than their master, nor are messengers greater than the one who sent them. If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them. I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But it is to fulfill the scripture, “The one who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.” I tell you this now, before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am he.Very truly, I tell you, whoever receives one whom I send receives me; and whoever receives me receives him who sent me.’

Observation:

Jesus demonstrates love, affectionate and generous, by kneeling at the feet of his friends and washing their feet before dinner.  Roads in Israel were dirty, stony, and hard on one's feet. Walking in sandals meant dirt, cuts, scabs, blood, and blisters. Foot care was important because you were on your feet so much of the time, working or traveling about.  Infections or sore feet could prevent a person from carrying on.  It was customary to offer guests a way to wash their feet---sort of like taking off your muddy boots before entering the house.  In some homes, a servant would attend to a guest's feet.  But in most houses, a basin and towel were provided for guests to clean up dirty, sore feet themselves.
Jesus teaches them humility through service.  Notice Peter is embarrassed to have his teacher wash his feet.  He knows the social rules and the pecking order.  By denying Jesus, Peter is honoring his lower status and Jesus' higher one.  But Jesus is offering a new teaching about status and privilege that is critical to their life together.  Notice, Jesus washes all of their feet--even his betrayer and those who will abandon him in the end. Nobody is exempt from Jesus' loving care.

Application:

We've made the Christian life more complicated than Jesus' teachings. He practices an incarnate, bodily presence with humility and affectionate, compassionate love.  I think about the ministry of Mother Theresa, physically touching and loving the sick and dying of Calcutta.  I think of the ministry of Revolution in Lancaster, offering hand massages and friendship to the women staying in homeless shelters downtown. I think of Shane Claiborne's Simple Way community in Philadelphia living in close solidarity with the homeless and poor on the streets of Kensington.  I think of Pope Francis washing prisoners' feet, including a Muslim.
We don't see much humility from leaders these days.  They are detached from the hardship and struggle of people on the ground fighting to survive. And too many churches have preachers and hearers of the Word, but no doers of the Word.  Their faith in Jesus does not include humble service. This is because we have churches with no discipleship. Discipleship involves action, driven by compassion toward those who are in need and expressed in humility and self-giving love.  It's more risky, more challenging, more painful, and more beautiful when we walk with someone through suffering.  We are building a church of disciples here, learning to practice Jesus' brand of love, touching lives one person at a time.  It's not easy.  But it's good.  Whose "feet" are we "washing"? Tomorrow night at 7pm, we will practice foot-washing as part of our Maundy Thursday gathering.  

Prayer:

Lord, your love is expressed in humble service.  Thank you for loving us when we are dirty, sore, and weary.  Thank you for washing us clean, tending our hurts, and providing us rest.  Let us live by your example, for our neighbors.  Amen.  
   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I learned something reading this passage that I thought I'd share. First, quick backstory. I've been a practicing Christian (Episcopal & Lutheran "flavors") for 43 years and I've NEVER let anyone wash my feet. This practice has been common in EVERY congregation I've been a part of and I've never participated as a recipient. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against feet :-), mine or someone else's. I've gladly washed feet and have always been willing to "serve". So I don't want anyone to think I've got something against feet, find it "icky", or don't want to be placed in a situation where I have to "return the favor". No, unfortunately my reluctance was driven by something else and it wasn't really until I read this passage and Pastor's comments that I finally figured out why I absolutely hated the idea of anyone washing my feet.

In the past I've always read the passage above as one of the many passages in the Gospel advocating sacrificial service to one another and love for all. Nothing wrong with that perception, certainly accurate, but I think I saw another message this year. It occurred to me that Jesus' instruction to his disciples to do for one other what he did for them is not possible if some of them aren't willing to BE served. Service requires one to act and one to receive that action. Not entirely earth shattering, but as I followed this thread of thought, it further occurred to me that this "relationship" formed is not one of dependence or at least not in the way in which I've always viewed it. The washee is not dependent upon the foot washer. Anyone can wash their own feet. The one washing, however, cannot serve without someone willing to be served.

So what I realized was that in order to live out Jesus' commandment to one another and more importantly, to provide the opportunity for others to live out Jesus' commandments, not only must we serve, but we have to be willing to let go of our pride, our false sense of independence, our false image of strength and self perseverance that we have built for ourselves and simply allow someone else to wash our feet.

Thank you Matt for washing my feet last night.