Tuesday, July 31, 2012

an either/or Christian

I am not an either/or Christian. Luther said Christians are 100% Sinner and 100% Saint all the time. This describes both my moral failures and my moral goodness. At the National ELCA Youth Gathering last week, Lutheran Pastor Nadia Bolz Weber said that it describes her enormous capacity for self-destruction and her enormous capacity to be kind and generous too. I know that within myself; I make huge mistakes and I do really good things for others. I cannot escape this lived reality. There is good and bad in me. Nevertheless, Jesus death and resurrection restores my true self and my relationship with God the Father. Christians with an either/or morality mentality do not get Jesus yet.  They think that one's behavior defines one's relationship with God.  They think "salvation" is a personal state of reality contingent upon my willingness to believe and do the right things. I believe that I cannot believe in Jesus Christ without the help of the Holy Spirit in me.  In other words, I cannot get to God, but God can get to me. There is something so powerful and good knowing that God chooses to love us, even though we are messed up. Unconditional love is the power behind Christianity, not moral rectitude.       

No comments: