Thursday, January 12, 2012

new shoes

I have two pair of black shoes; one pair is casual, everyday work shoes. The other pair are dress shoes.  I wear them on Sundays.  I have two pair of brown shoes. I have a pair of sneakers, a pair of hiking shoes, two pairs of boots, and two pairs of sandals.  
My one pair of black shoes that I wear almost everyday is becoming worn.  I don;t buy shoes often.  I buy shoes that will last for a few years, at least.  I can justify owning all these shoes.  They all serve a different function, depending on the season, the dress, the occasion.  I could probably get by with four pairs.  Boots, sneakers, black dress shoes, and sandals.  I say all of this knowing that there are children in this world that have no shoes.  I am blessed with more than I need.  I am well aware.  I have shoes and clothes, a secure home, more than enough to eat, clean water, health care, sanitation, and gadgets to entertain me.  But I am deeply aware that I am in the wealthy global minority in this regard. I am aware of the presence of poverty and need.  I am so because I see people in circumstances different from mine all the time.  I don't travel to Africa or Haiti to see them.  I notice my neighbors.    
  
There is a family in my church. There are two adults and four children under age 9 in the house.  They worship here every week.  The children were all baptized here by me.  They are being evicted from their apartment.  Seven months of unemployment has meant that income has been too low to sustain the household.    When they found the eviction note they called me.  I went to visit with them, make a plan, suggest some resources, and pray for God's help.  That was Monday.  

On Wednesdays I run an after school club for boys in grades three and four.  We started it this year as an outreach to our local elementary school.  5 boys come every week.  We eat a healthy snack, play games, read a story, and do homework together.  One of the best teachers in the school co-leads the program..  We have several other volunteers.  It's good.  We hope that more boys will join us. Here's why:
"Daniel" comes to after school club.  He is the oldest child in the family being evicted.  On the Wednesday after the eviction notice, "Daniel" started to cry. All day bottling up his fear came out in sobbing.  The other boys sought to console him, though they did not understand why he suddenly burst into tears.  We pulled him out of the group.  We prayed with him.  And I told him:  "We have got you.  You are safe.  Do not be afraid or worried.  This is an adult problem that adults will solve.  We will take care of your family.  You are in good hands.  God is with you."  I believe that.  
The very next Monday, hope began to emerge.  A plan for employment and increased income is taking shape.  A job appears to be on the horizon.  "Daniel", I was told, needed new shoes. his sneakers were falling apart.  I came into the church and started searching in our clothing bank.  Not ten minutes into my search I found a brand new pair of boys size three New Balance sneakers.  I brought them to him that afternoon.  He was wearing them on Wednesday at after school.
This is a small thing, a minor change.  New shoes is no guarantee of financial security or housing.  The eviction notice is still hanging over them.  But "Daniel" has new shoes.  
The God who promises to make all things new sows seeds of hope in small places.  New shoes is a sign that God's goodness prevails and God's strength is revealed in and through our weaknesses.  I don't know what will happen tomorrow or a month from now.  But I do believe this: Trusting God to provide does not disappoint.  I choose to be hopeful and claim that "Daniel's" new shoes are the beginning sign of new life for this family. I choose to believe that new shoes means they can keep on walking forward, keep on running on faith.  I choose to believe that God intervenes in small things so we can learn to trust God in big things.  I don't know what will happen.  But I know that to many children in the developing world, new shoes does bring new life; education and disease prevention.  And health and education can help break cycles of poverty.  At home, new shoes given freely to a child eliminates a purchase, thereby allowing a family to steward that money toward other important things like health care or housing.  $20.00 can be the difference between housing and eviction.
As a Pastor and person of faith, I know that offering a new pair of shoes is not "what it's all about".  There is more to life, more to gospel ministry, more to the fight against poverty and injustice than clothing and food.  Jesus himself said to concern ourselves with the Kingdom of God and not to worry about our material needs.   But shoes are significant in this story, because the real story is whether God is trustworthy and actually provides rescue and relief in time of trouble.  Offering "Daniel" new shoes is a sign of God's grace at a time when he and his family need God to be gracious.  It is a sign of God's mercy.  It is a sign of God's love. If the church is not a sign pointing to God,then we are nothing but an exclusive social club or a decent charity.  But when the church tells people, do not be afraid, God will be with you and when we demonstrate God's presence by giving a little, the world becomes lighter and we are drawn closer to God's dream and intention for this world.  And that is what it's all about.       

No comments: