Tuesday, February 23, 2010

thursday after ash wednesday

So what can I say to a group of Mennonite Middle Schoolers gathering for chapel at 8:15 am, before school starts? I was invited to speak about Lent.  When I was in middle school I thought the only thing that mattered was my pimply skin, my braces, my oily hair, and food.  I liked sports too.  As for Lent?  My family went to Lenten midweek services, but I went for the potluck dinner!   So what do these middle schoolers need to hear from me?
I talked about the forty days; Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, holy week, baptismal catechesis and mystogogy. I talked about spiritual disciplines of prayer, fasting, and giving alms.  I suggested that people give up certain indulgences during the season.  These are the logistics.
But Lent is not these rituals. Lent is a story, a homecoming story.  I told them the story of the prodigal son, or the overly gracious father, from Luke 15. It's my favorite parable.  And I think it strikes home for middle schoolers at a private Christian school.  There are people who are far from God, who do not live in obedience to God.  They are as welcome in the Kingdom as those who are obedient.  Living the safe and comfortable Christian life is not the only way to the Father's heart.  No matter how far away we go from God, God is not far from us. And we are welcomed home.
Pray for: broken families.  

No comments: