Friday, August 21, 2009

in one body through the cross

Today the ELCA in assembly voted to allow gay and lesbian people in faithful, monogamous, lifelong relationships to serve on the roster of this church. Many people are opposed to this policy change as a sign of our departure from Scriptural and traditional norms with respect to homosexuality and marriage. This could not be further from the truth. It is possible to believe the homosexuality is a sin, is antithetical to biblical teaching or to created intentions for men and women and at the same time believe that the gifts and calling of these people into rostered leadership in the church is consistent with the work of the Holy Spirit and the will of GOD. That is about where I am. If I were not there, I could not serve as a rostered leader. Why?
Because my sin is just as contemptible as anyone elses. Who am I to serve the Lord as a proclaimer of His Word and as n ambassador of His grace? If me, why not them? If not them, why me? That's been my thinking all along. The nature of sin makes us equal, even as the nature of grace reconciles sinners to GOD.
So, I affirm the assemblies action and rejoice in the work of the Spirit there. I hope and pray that this church will find ways to live together in respect for bound consciences that have discerned another way of understanding this issue.
All of this is really about a new ecclesiology that is emerging. This ecclesial expression seeks to engage the culture we find ourselves in as gracious guests in a host culture that has become resistant to the dominant churchianity of the past, a dominance that ended forty years ago and the church is only now realizing. Part of our engagement in the culture is to realize how complex sexuality has become here. To ignore this nuanced approach to sexuality is to live in the past!
So we'll see what happens in the weeks and months ahead. I believe that this is a minor issue compared to the real theological earthquake that is occurring globally.

No comments: