Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Today's gospel


Jesus prayed, "I thank thee, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to babes; yea, for such was thy gracious will. All things have been deliverd to me by my Father; and no one knows who the son is except the Father, or who the Father is except the son, and any one ot whom the son chooses to reveal him."

And turning to his discipels, Jesus said privately, "Blessed are the eyes which see what you see! For I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see what you see and hear what you hear, and did not hear it."

Jesus' prayer is a little weird. Is he talking to GOD or us or both? It is a simple expression of communion between the Son and the Father, acknowledging their inner relationship. It includes the langage of revelation or uncovering as Jesus embodies, uncovers, and reveals the hidden GOD of heaven and earth. Revelation, uncovering the reality of the divine presence. Seeing and hearing. That is the nature of discipleship. We are they who have seen and heard, by faith.

And his word to the disciples is a word about the gift that they are receiving as his followers. I seek that gift--to see and hear what they saw and heard with my own eyese and ears. I would love to see Jesus and to hear him speak. Just once. I'd love to experience his voice, his face.

No comments: