Tuesday, October 14, 2008

empty rockers and full calendars


The rocking chair is not an image for daily ministry, is it? I wish it were. Silver bay in the Adirondacks has become a sacred place for me and my family because there are empty rocking chairs. They beckon us to stop and sit awhile. To enjoy the day and the hour without a schedule book, a watch, an appointment calendar. It is necessary. Because Martha needs Mary's example.
Ministry is so haphazard. A routine is nearly impossible. Flexibility and availability are critical. I am constantly overscheduled. Between visiting people(both insiders and outsiders), tending to necessary chores (chaplaincy stuff), disciple-making, and community organizing I am full. I rarely have a day to regroup. And tonight a meeting is cancelled. We will have a meeting on Thursday night that I am looking forward to. Add on that the "beyond the local context" ministry I am involved in--I call it Apostolic ministry (building up and serving the body of Christ in its broader expression) and my life in ministry is stretched pretty thin these days. Much of it is good, healthy, inspiring stuff. I love that Steve is calling me, because in so doing he is calling to GOD. I have become thier priest, their pastor, their servant friend. But I also feel responsible.
I guess I have the post-family retreat reality blues. Because Silver bay was sooooo wonderful for us. I have rarely looked forward to something happening again. Not since college. A sacred place for us used to be Mountain Dale Farms, where Cherie and I got engaged. Where we first "met", where we first talked. I guess you can say where we fell in love. Sounds romantic or maybe a bit cheesy, but its true.
I am excited about the missional group meeting tomorrow and the opportunity to share in the various ways that God's Spirit is working among us. I am deeply encouraged by the eucharistic fellowship group meeting weekly in the city. I am excited about conversations with exiled young people seeking Christian fellowship. I am excited about LAMPa. All of these things are gifts of God and tasks of discipleship.

But, despite all that, it is the empty rocking chair that is calling me and Cherie... "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy burdened and I will give you rest..." I love Jesus as much for that promise as any other in Scripture.

No comments: