Wednesday, July 23, 2008

trees


i have a tree in my yard. it grew naturally under one of my pine trees. its a maple tree. i let it grow to about 3 feet high. it was flourishing. i decided to transplant it into my yard and see if i might get it to grow. i dug out the roots, and buried it in a hole in our side yard. i killed it. dead. i think. i may let it go for a few weeks and see if something grows. the leaves turned brown. maybe some root will take.
i was able to take something God made by nature of reproductive design and kill it so quickly. why is that? i feel like going out and buying a tree to plant there in its place. i want to partner with God i nthe healing and restoration of creation, but i killed a potential carbon eating tree that God was growing.
do you ever feel like you're a bigger part of the problem than you mean to be? Like when my three-year-old cries after he hit his brother and I say, "Jonah!" He says, with tears flowing, "I'm sorry daddy,I didn't mean it." I didn't mean to contribute to the decay, the pain, the groaning of creation. I meant to plant, water, and rejoice at the growth.

No comments: