Wednesday, July 30, 2008

facebook

I'm new to this popular online community called facebook. Not sure what its worth yet. Wondering if it is a venue for interaction or not...I can see the potential of exponential growth as one gets connected to others through 'friends'. I can see how it can become a long-distance relationship tool, too. And a way to reconnect with people.
I'm not sure how it is being used by people in a relational way yet. I've not really had an opportunity, but I'm willing to see what happens.
Maybe this is a new way to build or be a church? An online community of faith? What might that be like? And what would be the downside? Is it even possible to belong to a community of faith that gathers only online? Or is there an intimate relational piece that requires physical proximity? Does the incarnational aspect of church assume bodily presence? And how is bodily presence mediated, as sacramental people? For Lutherans Christ is really present in, with, and under the bread and wine.This means that when we eat the rbead and drink the cup, Jesus shows us somehow, and this is a mystery. And this mystery is not to be solved but enjoyed for what it is. Could the web become a sacramental reality, mediating the body of Christ to a generation of people? Or is it a way to avoid the vulnerability and truth of actual closeness? How can you share peace and not touch? Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with this? I see how blogging has drawn people together in some regards, but I wonder about forming community online.

No comments: