Monday, September 24, 2007

the middle face?

Last night at bed time we told our 3 year old to follow his sleep rules. We have a chart for him. he is supposed to stay in bed, close his eyes, be quiet, and go to sleep. If he doesn't follow the rules, we put a sad face on the chart. If he does, he gets a happy face. When he gets a sad face he is denied PBS kids shows in the morning. Nobig loss, but he likes to watch "Clifford the Big Red Dog." Admittedly so do I. Its a funny show with dogs. John Ritter is the voice of Clifford.
Anyway, he hasn't been following the sleep rules.We were giving him a three strike deal, until we realized he knew that he could get to two strikes and still get a happy face. So we went to the one-strike rule or the one time tuck-in. We reminded him that obedience earns a happy face and disobedience a sad face. To which he replied, "What happens if I get a middle face?" A third option? Never mentioned before? Creative. I laughed. I immediately thought, "a middle face reminds me of ambivalence. maybe he's talking about Lutherans!" :I

No comments: