Monday, June 04, 2007

monday monday

So I go to visit the sick mother of a community member today at the county home. I can;t find her. I run into, however, a young woman from my previous pastorate. She's working there in admissions. She's living in the city with her cat. We chat for a few minutes. Mostly small talk about life. I think she's an occasional attendant at the church I used to serve. Maybe more than occasional. We didn't talk about that. I wonder why I ran into her. Was she merely a distraction from some other tasks? There were more distractions today than actual work. What does it mean when I have time to spend chatting in a nursing home lobby for twenty minutes on a Monday afternoon? And I had already spent over an hour at the mall with my wife, kids, and mother-in-law. I went to get lunch with them and the women thought I might get some new slacks and shorts. After that,I stopped at Cokesbury for some more books. Four more books. All good reading, I'm sure. Somedays I don't know what I should be doing.
I have taken to handwriting simple, personal notes to people. I'm sending cards and messages to folks as a means of contact. I wonder if it might be effective? In this culture of email and cell phones, it is insteresting to write and send a badly handwritten little note to someone. My handwriting sucks. I wonder if people will care? I send little words of encouragement, prayers, God's Word. Years ago, correspondence like this might become a treasured possession. Will all of these notes and cards end up in the trash seconds after opening/reading?

No comments: